On March 2nd, WJMS honored the birthday of Dr. Seuss and we hosted activities all week long in celebration of Read Across America. We had an awesome week and are so thankful to our PTO for sponsoring the event and helping with the activities.
- Faculty members came by to take pictures with their favorite Dr Seuss book for posting on the wall.
- Students received Dr. Seuss themed prizes for taking Accelerated Reader quizzes during the week and we tracked their progress on the US map on the wall outside the media center. We placed Dr. Seuss cars on the map for every 10 points students earned. By the end of the week the map was full of cars crisscrossing as students had earned over 1,450 points!
- Groups of WJMS students visited area elementary schools to read to the students in the lower grades.
- We had character cut outs of “The Cat in the Hat” and “Thing 1 and Thing 2” hanging in the library along with books by Dr. Seuss on display.
- On Friday, all students checking out books were able to sample our version of “green eggs and ham”.
- Our Scholastic Book Fair was also going on during the week. In celebration of Read Across America, we hosted an event for parents on Friday. The Book Fair was open after school until 4:30 for parents to come browse and shop with their children.